Halloween is on the horizon, so Bolivar and the surrounding towns are gearing up to welcome trick-or-treaters to their community-wide events.
Sunday, Oct. 30
In a statement from the City of Bolivar, the Bolivar square will be shut down to vehicle traffic in order to accommodate trick-or-treaters on Monday, Oct. 31.
“Crews will close streets at around 5 p.m., and the streets will stay closed until foot traffic subsides. This will impact northbound and southbound Springfield Avenue and Main Avenue. However, Broadway Street, or Mo. 32, will remain open. Please stay safe and watchful on any streets while trick-or-treating this Halloween!” the statement said.
Bolivar Kiwanis Club’s annual Costume Contest will once again take place in the gazebo at the square starting at 5:45 p.m. on Halloween, welcoming kids to dress up for a chance to win a prize.
Kids are also sure to have a fang-tastically good time at these family-friendly fall events during Halloween weekend.
Saturday, Oct. 29
● Greater Polk County Farmers Market’s Fall Festival will take place from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. at 320 S Market in Bolivar. The event will feature kid-friendly games, family pictures, vendors, music, and pumpkin decorating. Costumes are welcome.
● New Life Church will be hosting a Trunk or Treat event from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at 458 S Springfield Ave. in the parking lot across from El Tres Amigos. Kids will enjoy candy, games, and face painting.
● Pleasant Hope’s community-wide Halloween in the Park event will start at 6:30 p.m.
● The Open Hearts United Methodist Church, located at 105 E Division, will be hosting their annual Tailgate and Treat from 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Treats, a photo booth opportunity, and face painting will be offered. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
● Berean Baptist Church, located at 4450 Scenic Ave., will be hosting their annual Trunk or Treat at 4 to 6 p.m. There will be games, candy, popcorn, cookies, cider, face painting, and more. This event is for kids of all ages, and attendees are encouraged to dress up. For more information, call the church office at 417-326-7758.
● The Morrisville community is holding a citywide Trunk or Treating event from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. along S Main St. Residents are welcome to participate and reserve their spot. For more information, visit the Little Sac Baptist Church Pastor Shayne Hammons page on Facebook to view the Morrisville, Mo Trunk or Treating event details.
Monday, Oct. 31
● First Baptist Church will be passing out candy at their annual Sweets & Treats event at 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
● Bolivar’s Kiwanis Club will host their annual Costume Contest. Children from birth to 6th grade can participate. Contestants must gather at the gazebo on the southeast corner of the square at 5:45 p.m. The contest begins promptly at 6 p.m. Generous prizes will be awarded for costumed winners.
● Bolivar First Assembly’s Fall Fest will be from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., featuring games, candy, prizes, jump house, hayrides, kettle corn, funnel cakes, music, and food trucks.
Other businesses will be handing out candy on Halloween to visiting trick-or-treaters as well. Parkview Health Care Facility, located at 119 W Forest St. will be handing out candy from 5 to 6:30 p.m. in the lobby. Polk County Library will also be handing out candy (or small toys for
those who can’t have candy) until closing time at 8 p.m.
Be sure to check local businesses’ websites and/or Facebook pages to get event updates, times, and operating hours during Halloween weekend.